Silky smooth, radiant, and hair-free skin is every woman’s dream. With rapid advances in technology, the process of body hair removal has gotten easier over time, but it’s still a process many women find daunting. With so many different options out there, it can be hard to find the right one for your budget and skin type. Electrolysis is a great solution for those looking to find an effective hair removal treatment without breaking the bank.
Electrolysis is by far one of the most effective methods of hair removal, lauded by models and celebrities alike for its hair removal power. It’s certainly one of the most popular options available on the market, but is it possible to do it at home?
What is Electrolysis Hair Removal?
Electrolysis is a very effective permanent hair removal treatment that targets each individual hair on your body using chemical or heat energy. Electrolysis can be used to treat almost every area of your body (even facial hair). Apart from a little redness after treatment, it has little to no unwanted side effects like ingrown hair or skin irritation. Just hair-free, supple, glowing skin… sounds great.
Many other options are available on the market, such as razors, creams, electric shaver, waxing, and epilators. These only work in the short term, slowing down hair growth, whereas Electrolysis will remove the hair permanently. By attacking each little nuisance hair directly at the follicle, electrolysis will remove that unwanted hair growth forever.
Laser hair removal (aka ipl hair removal)is also an option as laser hair removal is permanent and is also chosen by many women because it is not painful.
If you want to go ahead with laser hair removal, you should look at the Tommy Timmy Smoother Skin (Laser).
Before we go any further, it’s important to note that electrolysis is a medical procedure typically carried out by professional skincare experts at a clinic.
With the many recent advancements in skincare technology, it’s now possible to receive the benefits of Electrolysis at home and for a fraction of the price that you’d pay for a day procedure at your local clinic. Let’s take a look at some of the best at-home Electrolysis kits on the market.
What Type of Electrolysis Machine do You Need?
Before rushing out to buy a home Electrolysis machine, there are a few things you need to consider. There are currently three different types of Electrolysis machines available on the market. Determining which one is right for your needs will ensure that you get the very best possible results.
Galvanic electrolysis machines are the most common and popular machines on the market. Using an electric current, they target the veins that supply blood and nutrients to the hair follicle. By neutralizing these veins, the hair follicle is starved of everything it needs to promote hair growth.
To target each hair, you need to insert a small needle directly into the hair follicle. Once inserted, the Galvanic electrolysis machine will send a small electrical current deep into the follicle. This creates a chemical reaction with the moisture in your skin, leading to irreparable damage to the veins that feed the hair follicle. Bingo! Hair-free living!
Galvanic electrolysis machines are an incredibly effective permanent hair removal method, but they can be a little uncomfortable. If you’re squeamish about needles, then perhaps this isn’t the one for you, but nothing worth having rarely comes without a little discomfort.
Thermolysis electrolysis machines utilize radio frequencies (heat energy) to target, attack, and permanently damage the skin cells needed to grow hair. If you have light or fine hair growth, this method will be especially effective for you as it works better on this hair type.
It is less effective on thicker, coarser dark hair, so this is something to bear in mind while making your decision.
Blend electrolysis machines are a more recent addition to the world of permanent hair removal. They have seen quite an upswing in popularity in recent years due to their use in the modeling industry.
Blend machines are what you’re most likely to find at your local health and beauty clinic, and they’re very effective at targeting the hair follicles and stunting hair growth.
Blend machines utilize both electric current and heat energy at the same time to damage skin cells. These are most certainly the most effective and fastest machines available on the market right now.
It takes only 6-8 seconds to remove each hair from your body, making this one of the most comfortable and effective hair removal experiences you’re likely to find.
Before you Begin…
Home Electrolysis Hair Removal does have a learning curve. It can take a little while to get it right. There is no doubt that it can be a daunting task for some, but with a little time and patience, you’ll be hair-free in next to no time.
Don’t be dissuaded if the first time you perform the treatment you find it difficult, you’ll get better with practice, and with each repeated treatment, the results will get better and better.
- Make sure you read the manual before using your Electrolysis machine.
- Thoroughly clean your machine before use, with a light alcohol solution, or wipe to disinfect it (do this before every use).
- Be patient! Test the machine out on a small patch of skin first to see how your skin reacts.
- Drink plenty of water before treatment to ensure that your skin is fully hydrated.
- Skip your beauty routine before treatment! No makeup, creams (except for moisturizer), or serums. This is a must.
- Be very careful not to pierce your skin when inserting the needle. It should be slid directly into the hair follicle or hair root… this isn’t a tattoo!
So you’ve completed your first electrolysis hair removal treatment?
You’re on your way to becoming permanently hair-free. Feels good, right? Well, perhaps not quite yet, as you’re likely a little sore and uncomfortable right now.
So let’s take a look at the aftercare treatment you’ll need to follow to ensure that you’re on the mend ASAP and that your treatment delivers the very best results.
- Immediately after the treatment, you’ll want to apply a cool pack or a wet flannel to the treated area. Redness and swelling are common after treatment and are nothing to worry about, but you’ll want to cool down the affected area as quickly as possible.
- You can also apply a light soothing cream to your skin after treatment to bring down any redness or slight swelling you may have.
- If you have to leave the house, make sure you use strong SPF protection. Sunblock is a must.
- Keep your hands clean at all times and avoid touching the treated area as your skin is more prone to bacteria after treatment.
- Don’t apply any make-up to your skin for 3 to 4 days after treatment. This will clog your pores and may lead to infection.