Skin tags are small stems that protrude from your skin and can appear anywhere that has creases. Constant rubbing is the main factor that develops these skin marks.
There are different methods and equipment to remove skin tags.
You can treat the marks with the help of professionals. However, there are a wide variety of products on the market that you can apply at home.
Pros and cons of professional and home methods
- Professional methods eliminate tags quickly, managing to remove them in a single session. On the other hand, homemade methods can take 3 weeks to 1 month for the tag to dry and fall off.
- The treatments performed by professionals are effective, so you avoid paying extra if something were to go wrong with your home treatment.
- Some devices on the market designed to remove warts, moles, or skin tags do not have clinical studies that demonstrate the safety of the equipment, causing burns and even mask cancer cases. Professional treatments are generally safe, reliable, and effective.
- Professional treatments are usually more expensive than home treatment.
- Home treatments or creams and devices on the market can generate unwanted marks, compared to professional treatment that does not leave marks on the patient’s skin.
- Both methods should be taken care of after the tags are removed so that the affected area does not receive sun or rainwater.
- People with obesity have a high tendency for skin tags to appear due to the friction between the skin folds.
- Diabetes is another factor that causes the appearance of these tags.
- The friction produced by clothing and accessories also causes the presence of tags.
- They are associated with the aging of the individual. Tags are unlikely to be seen in children as it is common in adulthood and old age.
- Heredity is another cause for individuals to develop skin tags.
- There is the perianal label that is common in people with the disease known as Crohn’s.
- In the second trimester of pregnancy, women are very likely to develop skin marks.
- Hormonal change is a factor for the generation of tags.
- Ultraviolet radiation is a factor that can cause the appearance of tags.