Skin tags can be a real nuisance. Not only do they look unsightly but they can also pull on your clothing and begin to bleed – causing nothing but an inconvenience.
There are many ways in which you can treat a skin tag. Many are medical and involve invasive treatments. However, many natural remedies can effectively treat and aid the removal of those pesky skin tags and have your skin looking at its best once again.
In this article, we are going to be looking at some of the best ways to treat your skin tags naturally.
What Is A Skin Tag?
Before we begin looking at ways in which you can treat a skin tag, we must be clear on what we are treating. A skin tag (AKA acrochordon) is a small, benign growth that most frequently occurs in areas such as the groin, the breasts, eyelids, arms and along the neck. They are not usually painful, unless they become irritated by your clothing, in which case they can begin to bleed and cause minor discomfort.
Natural Remedies For Skin Tags
You might choose to go to your doctor to have a skin tag removed. However, in many instances, doctors will not agree to remove skin tags for various of reasons. Most commonly, skin tags near the eyes will be left alone by medical professionals as the risk of damage to the delicate eye area is too great compared to the benefits of removal. In these instances, doctors will only remove skin tags if it impairs your vision or cause pain. So, with that in mind, let’s consider what you could do at home to rid yourself of skin tags.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree is something of a natural remedy wonder treatment in many areas of health. This marvel can have a great effect for removing skin tags. The oil has very potent antifungal properties as well as being anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. For this treatment, you should continue with the method for a few days, up to a week for maximum effect. Let’s take a look at how you can achieve good results.
- Make sure that the affected area is clean and dry before you begin applying oil.
- Use a cotton swab to apply the oil, massaging it gently onto the skin tag and the immediate area around it.
- You should cover the area with a bandage and leave it to work for a few hours, preferably overnight.
- Ensure that you wash the oil away completely once the treatment is finished.
With repeated applications, the tea tree oil should eventually cause the skin tag to dry out and fall off.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Vinegar isn’t just great for cooking, it has many health uses and skin tag removal is one of them. This type of vinegar can attack the tissue around the skin tag and this will make it drop off. You can use this method in a similar way to tea tree oil. Here’s what you should do.
- Take a cotton swab and soak it in your vinegar.
- Gently dab the apple cider vinegar onto the skin tag and surrounding area.
- Cover the area with a bandage and wait for approximately half an hour.
- You should now thoroughly wash the skin to remove all of the vinegar.
It is important to repeat this process daily until you get the required results.
Whilst it doesn’t smell great as a skincare product, garlic has brilliant properties for treating and even removing skin tags. Along with this, the nature of garlic is one that reduces inflammation and makes your skin look younger and fresher. To use this product as a skin tag remedy, you should take the following steps:
- Crush the garlic so that it becomes like a paste.
- Apply this paste to the skin tag and immediate surrounding area.
- Cover the area with a bandage and leave until the morning.
- In the morning, remove the bandage and wash the area to get rid of any garlic residue (and the smell!)
This method, much like the ones we have already discussed, should be repeated over several days until the skin tag becomes dry and falls off.
Instead of throwing out your banana peel, why not use it to get rid of your skin tags? Banana peel is exceptionally good at drying out and removing skin tags. You can use it before bed each night by following these simple steps.
- Take a small piece of banana peel which is slightly larger than the skin tag
- Press it firmly over the skin tag and secure it in place using a bandage or sticking plaster
- Leave overnight and wash the area the next morning
Vitamin E is amazing for a multitude of things. Removing skin tags is, fortunately, one of them. One of the key factors in why people get skin tags is aging. The skin ages in a variety of ways and if you have noticed that skin tags are one of these ways for you, then using a vitamin E liquid can make a difference.
- Use a good quality vitamin E liquid to massage onto the affected area.
- Repeat this process daily for the best results.
- The antioxidant properties of the vitamin E liquid will shrink the growth and eventually cause it to drop off.
This method can be continued once the skin tag has disappeared by way of a moisturizer which is rich in vitamin E. These can be purchased easily from supermarkets and drug stores and can help in preventing any future problems.
A skin tag might be a pain but there are many ways in which they can be naturally removed. These methods can be easily done at home and often can be done with items you already have around the house.
If you have been looking for a skin tag removal method that is natural, cost-effective and reliable, these methods might just be for you!
Also see our article on Effective DIY Remedies To Remove Skin Tags